[Bioc-devel] improving navigation within workflows

Andrzej Oleś andrzej.oles at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 01:35:37 CEST 2017

Hi Aaron,

thanks for your feedback. We are currently looking into ways of improving
the building of workflows for the website in order to enable cross
references, html widgets, and similar. So far these were not supported
because of some technical constraints of the current implementation which
involves rendering the workflows into an intermediate .md file. The new
approach will overcome these limitations by skipping this intermediate step
and rendering directly to html. For a preview see:
https://www.bioconductor.org/help/workflows/testproj/testfile/ (it also
uses a slightly modified layout with some of the supporting information
such as figure and table captions, or footnotes moved to the right column)

Regarding the navigation, a floating TOC would be in principle possible in
the new implementation. It is not entirely clear to me, however, weather
this will visually work with the bioconductor.org website template. Links
to the TOC, such as ones in e.g.
https://www.bioconductor.org/help/workflows/highthroughputassays could be
relatively easily inserted automatically after each section. Static
CRAN-like solution as you mentioned it would probably require some more
work.

Cheers,
Andrzej