[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor git server beta testing begins now.

Turaga, Nitesh Nitesh.Turaga at RoswellPark.org
Mon Jul 10 15:55:02 CEST 2017

Hi Diego,

This is a good question.

Please note, that when you do a 'git clone¹, you are getting the commit
history of every branch, and master(trunk) locally. Git stores the log of
the commit history(trees, commits and blobs) locally in the .git/object
directory.

When you checkout an svn branch, you are checking out 1 specific branch,
i.e, trunk or RELEASE_X_Y. It also needs to connect to the server to get
the commit history of your files.

These are fundamental differences in the way these version control systems
work, and this difference is expected.

Best,

Nitesh