[Bioc-devel] Submit data package or use AnnotationHub?

Shepherd, Lori Lori.Shepherd at RoswellPark.org
Fri Dec 22 16:43:38 CET 2017

The choice to use AnnotationHub vs leaving the data in your package is a personal choice.

We encourage the use of the hubs as it has the potential to reach a broader audience and separates functions from data, keeping packages light weight. The hubs also provide others an opportunity to work with the annotations independent of your package. But the decision is yours.

If you would like to proceed with using the Hubs I can assist you.  We would give you temporary access to a temporary directory to upload data. We will move it to the appropriate location on S3. We suggest having subdirectories for versioning if you anticipate the files being updated in the future.  In order to put the data into production on the hubs we would need the packages to have the properly formatted metadata.csv.  Additional information for annotation packages that use the hub can be found here:

https://github.com/Bioconductor/AnnotationHub/blob/master/vignettes/CreateAnAnnotationPackage.Rmd

The metadata.csv file can be tested for proper format by using AnnotationHubData::makeAnnotationHubMetadata  function

i.e.

AnnotationHubData::makeAnnotationHubMetadata("GeneSetDb.MSigDB.Hsapiens.v61")

If you would like to proceed this rout please email me at lori.shepherd at roswellpark.org for access credentials.

Lori Shepherd

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Cancer Institute