[Bioc-devel] Incrimental writing to HDF5 / DelayedMatrix

Francesco Napolitano franapoli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 12:22:05 CET 2017

Hi,

I need to deal with very large matrices and I was thinking of using
HDF5-based data models. However, from the documentation and examples
that I have been looking at, I'm not quite sure how to do this.

My use case is as follows.
I want to build a very large matrix one column at a time, and I need
to write columns directly to disk since I would otherwise run out of
memory. I need a format that, afterwards, will allow me to extract
subsets of rows or columns and rank them. The subsets will be small
enough to be loaded in memory. Can I achieve this with current HDF5
support in R?

Any help greatly appreciated.

than you,
Francesco