[Bioc-devel] BiocFileCache for developers

Michael Love michaelisaiahlove at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 18:03:23 CET 2017

user_cache_dir(appname="mikes-package-name")

wow, how did you guess it?

I'm storing TxDb's for use across sessions with `rname` set to the
basename of the GTF file, e.g. "gencode.v27.annotation.gtf.gz". I want
to encourage the serendipitous case that there is already a
BiocFileCache entry with this `rname` created outside of the use of my
package. I can see this happening, especially if I mention this naming
pattern in the vignette.

I'm thinking I will encourage the user to pick a good BiocFileCache
location by not setting a default value. Potentially multiple users
could be sharing the same BiocFileCache location, e.g. a lab space on
HPC.

And then actively specifying NULL for the location (or something like
this) could switch the location to:

user_cache_dir(appname = "BiocFileCache")