[Bioc-devel] transitioning scater/scran to SingleCellExperiment

Angerer, Philipp philipp.angerer at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Tue Aug 8 11:48:19 CEST 2017

Hi Aaron and Martin,

In any case, a distance matrix calculated from such an array would be fine, as long as the dimensions are equal to the number of cells. The question is whether it is needed by enough packages to warrant a slot in the base SCE class; I will discuss this with Davide and Vlad.

Yeah, that was my point. since it’s cumbersome and non-natural to have 3D data in there, a distance matrix would fit better.
BQ_BEGIN

The SingleCellExperiment package makes no statement on whether downstream users/packages want to (or not) use the tidy-verse or ggplot2. It simply provides the minimal class and methods; convenience wrappers are left to the discretion of each package developer. scater, for example, implements a few dplyr verbs for SCE objects.
BQ_END

Of course, but only fortify is ggplot2-specific. But anyway; Martin pointed out:
BQ_BEGIN

FWIW, SummarizedExperiment (hence SingleCellExperimet) uses $ (and $<-; also [[ and [[<-) to access (with auto-completion) colData. And it wouldn't be a good idea to have $ access one element (counts) and $<- modify another (rowData), or to mix what $ and [[ access.

Martin
BQ_END

Ah, I see! names and .DollarNames.SummarizedExperiment are also defined! Well, that’s good enough i think, although this seems cumbersome:
assays(sce)$log_counts[ 'Actb' , ]

Cheers, Phil

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)

Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1

85764 Neuherberg

www.helmholtz-muenchen.de

Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. Guenther Wess, Heinrich Bassler, Dr. Alfons Enhsen

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466

USt-IdNr: DE 129521671