[Bioc-devel] transitioning scater/scran to SingleCellExperiment

Aaron Lun alun at wehi.edu.au
Mon Aug 7 19:41:41 CEST 2017

> Interestingly the design decisions coverged very well with scanpy
> <https://github.com/theislab/scanpy#readme>’s AnnData
> <https://www.pydoc.io/pypi/scanpy-0.2.3/autoapi/data_structs/ann_data/index.html#data_structs.ann_data.AnnData>
> class that I helped Alex design. Scanpy makes heavy use of HDF5
> serialization. I think we should quickly converge on a serialization
> format (keys and so on) so that |AnnData| and |SingleCellExperiment| can
> have interoperability via HDF5!

Yes, this would be quite interesting. As I mentioned, scater has some
support for HDF5 serialization, so that's one place to start.

> The only point of criticism is that you, while staying specific to
> single cell data, named the dimensions “rows” and “columns” instead of
> e.g. “samples” and “variables”. Alex and me came to the conclusion that
> |ExpressionSet|’s way of returning a named vector for |dims| is a good
> idea, and having the dimensions named for their roles reduces confusion.

I guess this would be a question for the SummarizedExperiment
developers, though personally, I never liked ExpressionSet's inclination
to slap names on everything.

>       1.
>
> destiny accepts either an expression matrix or a distance matrix (both
> with optional metadata).
>
> Currently the signature is this:
>
> |DiffusionMap(data = ExpressionSet | data.frame| matrix| Matrix, distance
> = NULL| "euclidean"| "cosine"| "rankcor") DiffusionMap(data = NULL|
> data.frame, # Metadata distance = matrix| dist | symmetricMatrix)|||
>
> The idea is that both when providing expressions and when providing a
> distance matrix, you should be able to provide metadata. I’m not super
> happy with my approach, since the current methods of providing metadata
> differ.
>
> However, |ExpressionSet| and |SingleCellExperiment| are both specific
> for expression data. I think neither can hold |dist| objects as data.
>
> Is it valid and a good idea to neither store counts not exprs, but e.g.
> |SingleCellExperiment(assays = list(dists = some_mat))|? It wouldn’t be
> sliced properly, for example, and it being symmetric would mean that
> column and row metadata is the same…

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to store distances as expression
matrices. However, if there is a need for it, we can add a new slot for
distance matrices. I think SC3 has a similar requirement, so perhaps
this would be more generally useful than I first thought. You can post
an issue on the github repository to remind Davide or me to do it.

> Is it a good idea to require assays to have certain names (e.g.
> “exprs” or “dists” here)?

I have thought about putting in a set of recommended assay names, along
with various methods for them:

- counts: counts, duh
- norm_counts: "normalized" values on the same scale as the counts
- log_counts: log-normalized counts (plus pseudo-count).
- cpm, tpm, fpkm: what it says

The idea is to encourage developers to store assay entries that will
have a reasonably consistent interpretation across packages. For this
reason, I'm not putting in "exprs", which could mean anything really.

>       2.
>
> The |reducedDim| methods would be able to store and retrieve diffusion
> components in a |SingleCellExperiment|, while destiny’s |dataset| method
> stores the original data used to create a |DiffusionMap|.
>
> What do you think is the best approach? Just conversions between the two
> classes? Or also deprecate |DiffusionMap| objects and create a
> |diffusion_map| function that returns a |SingleCellExperiment| object
> with the reduced dimensions and all the necessary metadata for further
> methods like e.g. DPT?
>
> I think for the latter, |SingleCellExperiment| isn’t quite cool enough
> yet :P. I’d like to have the full ergonomics of |DiffusionMap|:
>
>   * A |names| method (returning gene and per-cell-metadata names)
>   * Gene/per-cell-metadata access by |$| and |[[|.
>   * A |fortify| method that makes everything available in ggplot2. (E.g.
>     |ggplot(dm, aes(DC1, DC2, colour = Condition))| works!)
>
> I can do without the remaining methods (or provide them in destiny), as
> they are are neither general purpose enough for |SingleCellExperiment|
> nor really necessary, e.g. I can add an alias |plot(a_dm_object)| →
> |plot_dm(a_sce_object)|.

Not everything needs to be a SCE object. In fact, I would argue that it
doesn't really make sense for the DiffusionMap() function to return a
SingleCellExperiment object, as this would seem to conceptually limit
the DiffusionMap() function to single-cell data. (By comparison, it does
make sense to accept a SCE class - amongst others - as input, given that
destiny is often used for this type of data.)

 From a user perspective, if the DiffusionMap() function vomits out a
lot of metadata fields, that might not be desirable if only the final
diffusion coordinates are of interest. In such cases, I would find it
easier to just extract the coordinates and store it in reducedDim<-
manually. Whether this is done from a DiffusionMap or
SingleCellExperiment output makes little difference to me.

Finally, I'm not sure what advantages those ergonomics provide. Indeed,
if every package defines its own plot() S4 method for
SingleCellExperiment, they will clobber each other in the dispatch
table, resulting in some interesting results dependent on package
keep them separate rather than stuffing them into the SCE object.

Our vision for the SCE class is to coordinate inputs into many packages
across a long, long workflow. A little detour into destiny's classes for
a small portion of the workflow doesn't pose much trouble, as long as
any relevant statistics can be extracted and stored in the SCE object
when it moves to the next stage of the workflow.

-Aaron