[Bioc-devel] Windows binaries for the new release?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Wed Apr 26 17:40:29 CEST 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Martin Morgan <
martin.morgan at roswellpark.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> (2017-04-21).
>>         installation path not writeable, unable to update packages:
>> foreign
>>         Old packages: 'Biobase', 'IRanges', 'S4Vectors'
>>         Update all/some/none? [a/s/n]: a
>>
>>           There are binary versions available but the source versions
>>         are later:
>>                    binary source needs_compilation
>>         Biobase    2.35.1 2.36.0              TRUE
>>         IRanges    2.9.19 2.10.0              TRUE
>>         S4Vectors 0.13.17 0.14.0              TRUE
>>
>>         Do you want to install from sources the packages which need
>>         compilation?
>>         y/n:
>>
>>         Is there a way to remove the cache manually? I have already
>>         uninstalled
>>         and re-installed BiocInstaller.
>>

>>       contrib.url(BiocInstaller::biocinstallRepos())
>>
>>     should be pointing to
>>
>>       https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/bioc/bin/windows/contrib
>>     <https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/bioc/bin/windows/contrib>
>>
>>     and
>>
>>       https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/bioc/bin/windows/contrib
>>     <https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/bioc/bin/windows/contrib>
>>     /3.4/PACKAGES
>>
>>     has the current information
>>
>>     Package: Biobase
>>     Version: 2.36.0
>>     Depends: R (>= 2.10), BiocGenerics (>= 0.3.2), utils
>>     Imports: methods
>>     Suggests: tools, tkWidgets, ALL, RUnit, golubEsets
>>     License: Artistic-2.0
>>     Archs: i386, x64
>>
>>     as well as in R
>>
>>     > fl =
>>     "https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/bioc/bin/windows/cont
>> rib/3.4/PACKAGES.rds
>>     <https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/bioc/bin/windows/cont
>> rib/3.4/PACKAGES.rds>"
>>     > xx = readRDS(url(fl))
>>     > xx['Biobase', , drop=FALSE]        Package   Version  Priority
>>     Biobase "Biobase" "2.36.0" NA
>>             Depends                                       Imports
>>      LinkingTo
>>     Biobase "R (>= 2.10), BiocGenerics (>= 0.3.2), utils" "methods" NA
>>             Suggests                                   Enhances License
>>     Biobase "tools, tkWidgets, ALL, RUnit, golubEsets" NA
>>      "Artistic-2.0"
>>             License_is_FOSS License_restricts_use OS_type Archs
>>  MD5sum
>>     Biobase NA              NA                    NA      "i386, x64" NA
>>
>>     should be pointing to the current .zip files.
>>
>>     biocLite() delegates to available.packages(), which should be
>>     checking the session temporary directory and, since you're in a new
>>     session, retrieving the rds file above. You could
>>
>>       debug(available.packages)
>>
>>     and try and figure out where the issue is?
>>
>>     FWIW with a new R installation I could not reproduce your problem.
>>

>> OK. If it's just weirdness on my end I don't really care. I was just
>> concerned that this would be a problem for regular end users.
>>

> If you're having a problem then it would be great to have your expert

Well, getOption("pkgType") on my Windows box returns 'both' rather than
'win.binary', so this is what I get:

> contrib.url(biocinstallRepos())
[1] "https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/bioc/src/contrib"
[2] "https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/data/annotation/src/contrib"
[3] "https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/data/experiment/src/contrib"
[4] "https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/extra/src/contrib"
[5] "https://cran.rstudio.com/src/contrib"
[6] "https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/src/contrib"

and if I set that to win.binary, I get what you get. I don't remember ever
changing that option, but maybe it gets changed when you install the Rtools
toolset? I don't see any documentation to that effect, and I just
re-installed Rtools just to check. Regardless, that's what the deal was.

Jim