[Bioc-devel] PROTECT errors in Bioconductor packages

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Fri Apr 7 10:18:12 CEST 2017

On 04/06/2017 03:29 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:59 AM, Martin Morgan
> <martin.morgan at roswellpark.org> wrote:

I get a lot of warnings because the tool seems to consider that
extracting an attribute (with getAttrib(x, ...)) or extracting the
slot of an S4 object (with GET_SLOT(x, ...) or R_do_slot(x, ...))
returns an SEXP that needs protection. I always assumed that it
didn't because my understanding is that the returned SEXP is pointing
to a part of a pre-existing object ('x') and not to a newly created
one. So I decided I could treat it like the SEXP returned by
VECTOR_ELT(), which, AFAIK, doesn't need protection.

So I suspect these warnings are false positives but I'm not 100% sure.

>>> I also get a warning on almost every C++ function I've written, because
>>> I use the following code to handle exceptions:
>>>
>>>      SEXP output=PROTECT(allocVector(...));
>>>      try {
>>>          // do something that might raise an exception
>>>      } catch (std::exception& e) {
>>>          UNPROTECT(1);
>>>          throw; // break out of this part of the function
>>>      }
>>>      UNPROTECT(1);
>>>      return output;
>>>
>>> Presumably the check doesn't account for transfer of control to the
>>> catch block. I find that R itself is pretty good at complaining about
>>> stack imbalances during execution of tests, examples, etc.

>>> I assume the bug refers to the un-PROTECT'd NEW_CHARACTER here - the
>>> R_alloc call looks okay to me...
>>

>> yes, tag needs protection.
>>
>> I attributed the bug to R_alloc because I failed to reason that R_alloc
>> (obviously) allocates and hence can trigger a garbage collection.
>>
>> Somehow it reflects my approach to PROTECTion, probably not shared by
>> everyone. I like to PROTECT only when necessary, rather than
>> indiscriminately. Probably this has no practical consequence in terms of
>> performance, making the code a little easier to read at the expense of
>> exposing me to bugs like this.
>>

> I guess it's a tradeoff between syntactic complexity and logical
> complexity. You have to think pretty hard to minimize use of the
> protect stack.

I prefer to call it logical obscurity ;-)

The hard thinking consists in assessing whether or not the code between
the line where a new SEXP is allocated (line X) and the line where
it's put in a safe place (line Y) can trigger garbage collection.
Hard to figure out in general indeed, but not impossible! Problem
is that the result of this assessment is valid at a certain point
in time but might change in the future, even if your code has not
changed.

So a dangerous game for virtually zero benefits.

> One recommendation might be to UNPROTECT() as soon as the pointer on
> the top is unneeded, rather than trying to figure out the number to
> pop just before returning to R.

If you PROTECT() in a loop, you definitely want to do that. Otherwise,
does it make a big difference?

> One thing that got me is that the order in which C evaluates function
> call arguments is undefined. I did a lot of R_setAttrib(x,
> install("foo"), allocBar()), thinking that the symbol would be
> automatically protected, and allocBar() would not need protection,
> since it happened last. Unfortunately, it might be evaluated first.

I got hit by this too long time ago but with defineVar() instead of
R_setAttrib():

   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2008-January/048040.html

H.

> Btw, I think my package RGtk2 got the record: 1952 errors. Luckily
> almost all of them happened inside a few macros and autogenerated
> code.
>
>> Martin
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Aaron
>>>

>> This email message may contain legally privileged and/or...{{dropped:2}}

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center