[Bioc-devel] PROTECT errors in Bioconductor packages

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Apr 6 11:59:35 CEST 2017

On 04/06/2017 05:33 AM, Aaron Lun wrote:
>> The tool is not perfect, so assess each report carefully.
>
> I also get a warning on almost every C++ function I've written, because
> I use the following code to handle exceptions:
>
>      SEXP output=PROTECT(allocVector(...));
>      try {
>          // do something that might raise an exception
>      } catch (std::exception& e) {
>          UNPROTECT(1);
>          throw; // break out of this part of the function
>      }
>      UNPROTECT(1);
>      return output;
>
> Presumably the check doesn't account for transfer of control to the
> catch block. I find that R itself is pretty good at complaining about
> stack imbalances during execution of tests, examples, etc.
>
>> 'My' packages
>> (Rsamtools, DirichletMultinomial) had several false positives (all
>> associated with use of an attribute of a protected SEXP), one subtle
>> problem (a symbol from a PROTECT'ed package name space; the symbol could
>> in theory be an active binding and the value obtained not PROTECTed by
>> the name space), and a genuine bug
>>
>>                 tag = NEW_CHARACTER(n);
>>                 for (int j = 0; j < n; ++j)
>>                     SET_STRING_ELT(tag, j, NA_STRING);
>>                 if ('A' == aux[0]) {
>>                     buf_A = R_alloc(2, sizeof(char));  # <<- bug
>>                     buf_A[1] = '\0';
>>                 }
>>                 SET_VECTOR_ELT(tags, i, tag); # PROTECT tag, too late!
>
> I assume the bug refers to the un-PROTECT'd NEW_CHARACTER here - the
> R_alloc call looks okay to me...

yes, tag needs protection.

I attributed the bug to R_alloc because I failed to reason that R_alloc
(obviously) allocates and hence can trigger a garbage collection.

Somehow it reflects my approach to PROTECTion, probably not shared by
everyone. I like to PROTECT only when necessary, rather than
indiscriminately. Probably this has no practical consequence in terms of
performance, making the code a little easier to read at the expense of
exposing me to bugs like this.

Martin