[Bioc-devel] Installing EBImage with custom packages dir?

Guillaume MULLER gm at presans.com
Mon Apr 3 11:45:22 CEST 2017

Hi,

I've been installing EBImage several time these past months on multiple machines, using instructions at: http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/EBImage.html.

I've noticed a few strange things with the installer:

- When the installer installs the dependencies and one of them fails (e.g. "tiff" or "png", because the headers are not installed on the system), and I run again biocLite("EBImage"), then even the dependencies that previously installed successfully (I saw the "DONE (xxx)" line in the logs) are re-downloaded and re-installed...

- The script asks if I want to upgrade my packages. If I says yes, then the system-wide installation fails because I'm not root, thus the biocLite() asks if I want to install the packages in my "personal library". If I answer "yes", it installs the packages in the default personal library location ("~/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.2"), whereas I've hardcoded my personal library location by using (.libPaths("~/.R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1.2" in my .Rprofile)... Also, I'm not sure the script does not takes into account the packages already installed installed in my personal library, thus redundantly (re)-installs some packages in the default location.

Is there any work-around so that I don't have to move all the (redundantly) installed packages into my actual personal library?

Cheers

GM
--
Guillaume MULLER, PhD