[Bioc-devel] Question about a package submission

Ioannis Vardaxis ioannis.vardaxis at math.ntnu.no
Fri Oct 28 13:13:53 CEST 2016

For me, running biocLite(c("rtracklayer", "S4Vectors", "XVector", "IRanges",
       "Biostrings", "GenomicRanges", "GenomicAlignments"))
Worked and solved the error.

Ioannis
--
Ioannis Vardaxis
Stipendiat IMF

From: Kevin RUE <kevinrue67 at gmail.com<mailto:kevinrue67 at gmail.com>>
Date: Friday 28 October 2016 at 12:38
To: Martin Morgan <martin.morgan at roswellpark.org<mailto:martin.morgan at roswellpark.org>>
Cc: Vincent Carey <stvjc at channing.harvard.edu<mailto:stvjc at channing.harvard.edu>>, Ioannis Vardaxis <ioannis.vardaxis at math.ntnu.no<mailto:ioannis.vardaxis at math.ntnu.no>>, "bioc-devel at r-project.org<mailto:bioc-devel at r-project.org>" <bioc-devel at r-project.org<mailto:bioc-devel at r-project.org>>
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] Question about a package submission

Dear Martin,

Sorry for slightly diverting the thread solely based on the error message:
Error in .Primitive("c")(<S4 object of class "Rle">, <S4 object of class "Rle">) :
  could not find symbol "recursive" in environment of the generic function

I can somewhat picture the issue from your explanation.
I think that the generic was redefined in base R, but you have packages that were installed before the generic was redefined. The methods in the installed packages think that they are associated with the generic at the time of installation, rather than at runtime.

Unfortunately I think this means manually re-installing even up-to-date packages that define S4 "c" methods; likely this is a complicated stack of dependencies including rtracklayer, S4Vectors, XVector, IRanges, Biostrings, GenomicRanges, GenomicAlignments, ...

However, I cannot figure out how to avoid this issue on AppVeyor (https://ci.appveyor.com/project/kevinrue/tvtb/build/job/srkobac85uksgcht).
I have tried quite about 20 different combinations of settings in my YAML file (https://github.com/kevinrue/TVTB/commits/master) without success.
I am not not sure how I may "manually reinstall" said packages, or somehow make sure the generic is define before all the relevant packages are installed.

I'll admit that setting up a second Continuous Integration system is not the most pressing issue in my life, but I'm so close to succeeding that it is fairly frustrating to leave it at that :)

Kind regards,
Kevin