[Bioc-devel] Harman not building on Windows due to mzR

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Wed Oct 5 20:32:28 CEST 2016

Hi Jason,

On 10/05/2016 05:08 AM, Jason.Ross at csiro.au wrote:
> Hi Steffen,
>
> I also develop on Linux, so I'm at a loss with compiling Bioconductor libs on Windows.
>
> As a guess, if there are no compiler errors but 'mzR.dll' cannot be found, I suppose the final linking of the compiled objects failed?

The error message is confusing: mzR.dll is actually here but it cannot
be loaded.

The man page for dyn.load (src/library/base/man/dynload.Rd) contains:

     Users have been confused by messages like
   \preformatted{
    error: unable to load shared object
    '.../library/rJava/libs/x64/rJava.dll':
    LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
   }
     The final line is a Windows (not \R) diagnostic: the \sQuote{module}
     that could not be found is not \file{rJava.dll} but something else
     Windows is looking for (here most likely Java DLLs): if you are lucky
     there will be a dialog box with more details.

Note that you don't see this when you open the man page on a
non-Windows system because this part of the man page is in a
#ifdef windows ... #endif directive.

Cheers,
H.

> I did a quick search and there seems to be a precedence for incompatibility between mzR and certain Rcpp versions: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11181691/r-bioconductor-mzr-library-load-error
>
> Also on another tack, the line that seems to be doing the linking (prior to "installing to C:/Users/biocbuild/bbs-3.4-bioc/meat/mzR.buildbin-libdir/mzR/libs/i386") is fairly long. Has it has been clipped? Is it overflowing a shell variable? Windows has a very low command line limit of 8192 characters. By comparison, a typical Linux box has an arg limit of 2,097,152 chars (which can be found with `echo $(getconf ARG_MAX)`). https://mcuoneclipse.com/2015/03/29/solving-the-8192-character-command-line-limit-on-windows/
>
> Maybe overflowing is not the case? I expect it would throw an error and that line is only 3,845 chars in length.
>
> Anyway a couple of shots in the dark...
>
> Cheers,
> Jason

Hervé Pagès