[Bioc-devel] Feedback wanted on design of fixed-width Ranges class

Gabe Becker becker.gabe at gene.com
Thu Nov 24 03:59:12 CET 2016

Hey all,

I just wanted to chime in on this as it relates to some work I'm doing with
Luke Tierney and Tomas Kalibera. There's another approach to this that will
be available in the near future (we hope).

Alternative internal representations of atomic vectors, including compact
representations, are coming to R, hopefully (though not guaranteed) in the
2017 release.

See https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/ALTREP/ALTREP.html for more
details.

With this approach, we could simply have a length N integer vector for
width that only took 1 integer in memory for it's payload (so long as it's
data was accessed properly). There would likely be some gotchas but it
would let a "normal" GRanges/IRanges object exhibit the behavior you want.

It could very well be worth doing separately in the interim, but it might
also be good to leverage the machinery for this that R will be getting soon.

I'm pretty excited about exploring applications to this stuff. I'm pretty
confident we'll be able to find more ways for it to synergize with the
Bioconductor infrastructure.

Best,
~G