[Bioc-devel] vmatchPattern Returns Out of Bounds Indices

Dario Strbenac dstr7320 at uni.sydney.edu.au
Fri Nov 18 11:00:08 CET 2016

Good day,

> These questions really belong to the support site.

I suppose, although it seemed like an unexpected issue at first because it's not documented within ?lowlevel-matching so users don't know what to expect.

> You'll get that behaviour by allowing indels.

This reveals a discrepancy between the documentation and the way the function operates. In the documentation, the function definition of vmatchPattern has with.indels = FALSE in it. However, changing it to TRUE results in

Error in .XStringSet.vmatchPattern(pattern, subject, max.mismatch, min.mismatch,  :
  vmatchPattern() does not support indels yet

This is utilising Biostrings 2.42.0 in R 3.3.1.