[Bioc-devel] stuck in setting up Bioconductor GitHub

Leif Väremo leif.varemo at chalmers.se
Wed Nov 16 10:03:23 CET 2016

Yes, I forked the Bioconductor git-mirror and then cloned my fork locally.

The local master branch automatically gets pushed to my forks master branch.

So now, I “solved it” for the devel branch by running:
git push –u origin devel
instead of just git push (and similar for the release branches).

So after doing some more research, my understanding is that (after running the update_remotes.sh script) the local devel branch gets pushed to SVN (which will be immediately reflected in Bioconductor-git master) and local release-x.x branches get pushed to corresponding “release branches” in SVN (and again mirrored by Bioconductor-git), using the git svn dcommit command.
It is then up to us which branches we also push to our personal GitHub repo (the fork). One could git push all branches up to the GitHub fork, in that way the local repo, the personal GitHub repo (initially forked from Bioconductor-mirror) and the SVN/Bioconductor-mirror will be all in sync, but this seems a bit tedious and redundant to me. If we choose not to push the devel and release-x.x branches to our personal GitHub (the fork), they should be removed from there I assume (anyways, they are available in the Bioconductor-mirror). So I am considering to only keep the master branch in my personal GitHub, synced with the local master branch, and use this for development work. The “syncing” to SVN would then be done locally by merging edits into devel or release-x.x branches and running git svn dcommit.

Is this reasonable? It would be very interesting to hear how others that are using GitHub for their Bioconductor packages are setting this up!

Kind regards

Leif

On 15/11/16 15:58, "Dan Tenenbaum" <dtenenba at fredhutch.org> wrote:

    Did you fork the repository first?