[Bioc-devel] stuck in setting up Bioconductor GitHub
leif.varemo at chalmers.se
Tue Nov 15 10:50:37 CET 2016
I am trying to setup up my pre-existing Bioconductor package piano in GitHub. I am following the steps listed on the Bioconductor website:
1. git clone https://github.com/USER/REPO to clone the repository to your machine.
2. cd REPO to switch to the REPO directory.
3. bash /path/to/update_remotes.sh to setup the git remotes.
4. Commit to git and push to GitHub as you normally would.
5. Each time you want to push git commits to svn:
* git checkout devel to switch to the devel branch. (use release-X.X for release branches)
* git svn rebase to get the latest SVN changes.
* git merge master --log to merge your changes from the master branch or skip this step and work directly on the current branch.
* git svn dcommit --add-author-from to sync and commit your changes to svn. You may be prompted here for your SVN username and password.
After step 3, I have a local devel branch that does not yet exist in my remote (which would be my own fork of the Bioconductor-mirror).
My interpretation of step 4 is that I can work on any local branch, say devel or release-3.4, and then commit+push those changes to GitHub. However, when I try to push (either from the devel branch or a release branch) I get this:
remote: Permission to Bioconductor-mirror/piano.git denied to varemo.
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/Bioconductor-mirror/piano.git/': The requested URL returned error: 403
So it seems like it is trying to push to Bioconductor-mirror/piano.git whereas I would like to push to varemo/piano.git, right?
I assumed it was intended like this at least. So when I would be happy with my changes, e.g. updates to the local devel branch and in sync with the devel branch on varemo/piano.git, then I would move on and go through step 5 to push my edits to svn. But maybe I am missing something here?
As a side note: I am able to edit the local master branch and push that to GitHub, i.e. the master on varemo/piano.git. Is the idea that one should only work on master, and just use the other branches when doing step 5?
Would be grateful if anyone could clarify the system for me.
[[alternative HTML version deleted]]
More information about the Bioc-devel