[Bioc-devel] A handful of check to follow up on R CMD BiocCheck

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Nov 10 00:31:45 CET 2016

On 11/03/2016 08:14 AM, Kevin RUE wrote:
> Apologies for the additional spam, for two reasons:
>
>   * The diff files that I've previously sent had the base and modified
>     versions swapped. This new one fixes that.
>   * This new diff file (always relative to the code I cloned from
>     Bioconductor-mirror) also fixes a bug whereby the updated code would
>     fail on packages that do not break any of the three guidelines.

Hi Kevin -- thanks for these, I incorporated a version in 1.11.1.

The report is for the first 6 lines of offenders; the code for finding
all offenders is mentioned in the vignette

   BiocCheck:::checkFormatting("path/to/YourPackage", nlines=Inf)

Marcel Ramos mentions the lintr (CRAN) and goodpractice (github only,
https://github.com/MangoTheCat/goodpractice) packages as useful
resources for these types of questions; also formatR (CRAN).

For the record, it was fun to work through your code. The basic pattern
was to read lines and flag those that violated a (usually simple) test,
add these to a data frame, then if after parsing all files the data
frame had any rows report these to the user.

I standardized the columns of the data frame across checks to facilitate
re-use, and imposed the standard by using a constructor -- non-exported
Context(). I took a little bit of pain to make the constructor work
(return a data frame with the correct columns but no rows) when there
are no lines of code flagged to be added to the context, so that I could
use it without have to insert a bunch of conditional `if (...)` in my
code that make it both harder to understand and harder to test. Also,
the constructor is vectorized, whereas your implementation was iterative.

For reporting to the user, I wrote a small helper handleContext() that I
could re-use across the different types of checks (and likely elsewhere
in the package) and also maintain the separation of what is reported to
the user (e.g., in handleContext()) from how it is reported to the user
-- .msg, .verbatim, etc in the utils.R file. Probably the reporting
could have been refactored further.

I feel guilty about not writing unit tests; the package does include
tests, including a handy package-generator function to make packages
that are invalid in various ways. It seems like a better way to go would
be to further refactor the body of the checkFormatting() function so
that one could for instance invoke a function checkLineLengths(pkg,
file, lines) and get back a data.frame created by Context(); it would
then be easy to test these for various 'lines' without having to figure
out how to make test packages. But this seemed of course like too much
additional work for this feature (I'll probably regret not expending the
effort at a future date).

I also found myself using the horrible 'copy-and-append' paradigm

    ctxt = Context()
    for (fl in files) {
        ctxt = rbind(ctxt, Context(...)
     }

which makes a copy of (the increasingly large) ctxt each time through
the loop and therefore scales quadratically (when each file has some
problems) with the number of files. I'm counting on the number of files
to be small (e.g., less than 10000, when the copy-and-append pattern
starts to be expensive even for trivial operations; mzR has ~8750 files,
though many of these are not checked for formatting) so that this
pattern does not become a bottleneck. It was still painful to use...

Martin