[Bioc-devel] Re-direction of internally generated output files

Jil Sander jil.sander at uni-bonn.de
Sat May 28 20:36:11 CEST 2016

Dear all,

I am very new to the package development process and I am facing a
beginner's issue I suppose.

The main function of my package automatically saves output files of
intermediate steps (PDF result files as well as R objects containing data)
into the current working directory and re-uses them. Due to the example I
incorporated into the help file of the corresponding function (since I need
a specific amount of executable examples), those output files are generated
automatically and are saved into the top-level folder of the package, which
is obviously not allowed. Is this generally bad practice and if not, is
there a recommend and elegant way how to solve this? E.g. adding a folder
whose name is accepted to be present in the top-level folder and
re-directing the output to it or suppressing the output without the need of
changing the code?

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards

Jil