[Bioc-devel] \donttest and the "80% of man pages documenting exported objects must have runnable examples" rule

Richard Cotton richierocks at gmail.com
Sun May 15 13:45:09 CEST 2016

I have a package with a lot of examples in exported functions marked
as \donttest.

BiocCheck doesn't count these functions towards the target of having
80% of exported objects with runnable examples.  I do have more than
80% runnable examples; it's just that BiocCheck can't see them.  (For
background, the package is mostly about file import, and it takes a
second or two to import the sample files included in the package.
Having examples that run for a couple of seconds is fine for users,
but makes package testing very slow (once dozens of the example are
run).

This check is considered REQUIRED to be solved, so I'd like to know if
it's OK to include an explanation about the use of \donttest during
submission, or if my pacakge will just get rejected outright.

--
Regards,
Richie

Learning R