[Bioc-devel] svn co with username and password

Billy Chang billyheungwing at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:58:23 CEST 2016

Dear All,

I recently submitted a package called “GSALightning”. The package has been accepted and I have received the svn credentials. However I am unable to checkout the GSALightning package using my username and password.

If I use the username readonly and password readonly it works:

####
$ svn co --username readonly --password readonly
https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GSALightning
A    GSALightning/vignettes
A    GSALightning/vignettes/vignette.Rmd
A    GSALightning/data
Checked out revision 112386.
####

But I could not checkout using my given username and password:

####
$ svn co --username xxx --password xxxxx https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GSALightning
svn: E175013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GSALightning'
svn: E175013: Access to 'https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GSALightning' forbidden
####

The bioconductor help page suggested putting single or double quotes around the username. This could not resolve the issue neither. All of the following:

####
$ svn co --username "xxx" --password xxxxx https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GSALightning
$ svn co --username 'xxx' --password xxxxx https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GSALightning
$ svn co --username="xxx" --password xxxxx https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GSALightning
$ svn co --username='xxx' --password xxxxx https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GSALightning
####

gives:

####
svn: E175013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GSALightning'
svn: E175013: Access to 'https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GSALightning' forbidden
####

My svn version appears capable of accessing https:

####
$ svn --version
svn, version 1.7.19 (r1643991)
  compiled Feb 24 2015, 19:10:03

Copyright (C) 2014 The Apache Software Foundation.
This software consists of contributions made by many people; see the NOTICE
file for more information.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.apache.org/

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_neon : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using Neon.
 - handles 'http' scheme
 - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
 - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
 - handles 'file' scheme
* ra_serf : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using serf.
 - handles 'http' scheme
 - handles 'https' scheme
####

Please kindly help. Thanks in advance!

Billy Heung Wing Chang
Division of Biostatistics
Jockey Club School of Public Health and Primary Care
The Chinese University of Hong Kong