[Bioc-devel] Close connections continuously in fasta.index in Biostrings

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Thu Mar 3 19:44:03 CET 2016

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier on this. Opening/closing
each file inside the loop (i.e. at the beginning/end of each iteration)
instead of opening all files before entering the loop would indeed
address the problem. I'll look into this and will let you know.

Cheers,
H.

On 02/15/2016 05:42 AM, Thomas Lin Pedersen wrote:
> Hi (mostly Hervé)
>
> I’m running into problems trying to run fasta.index() from Biostrings on a list of 4700 files, as the limit on open files are reached. Is it possible to continuously open and close the connections in the C code to circumvent this? I expect this problem also arises with readXStringSet..? I know dealing with such a high number of files in one chunk is probably an edge case, so I can understand if this is not something you wish to change the code for...
>
> with best wishes
>
> Thomas Lin Pedersen

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology