[Bioc-devel] question regarding man pages

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Thu Mar 3 19:06:20 CET 2016

On 03/02/2016 02:21 PM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:
> #' @import(packageName)
>
> inserts an import statement into your NAMESPACE that looks like this:
>
> import(packageName)
>
> It has nothing to do with the library() function.
>
> And yes, unexported functions do not need to have man pages to be accepted into Bioconductor. However, they can have them.

They can but please keep in mind that the primary audience for your
man pages is the end-user. When the end-user comes across a man page
that documents a function that s/he doesn't have access to, there is
potential for some confusion. Also this is encouraging its use in 3rd
party code (via calls of the form packageName:::foo()).

Said otherwise: not exporting a function is a way to hide it from the
end-user and providing a man page for it is a way to make it known to
the end-user. Once you've decided what side you want to be, the path
is clear.

Cheers,
H.

> Dan