[Bioc-devel] Extending Views to support GRanges (and possibly BigWig files)

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Wed Jun 29 01:56:27 CEST 2016

On 06/28/2016 05:43 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> Thanks for these use cases.
>
> I've been wondering about the usefulness of Views given how far along
> Lists have come since the invention of Views. Instead of
> viewSums(Views(cov, gr)) we could just do sum(cov[gr]). The latter
> works today. The difference between the Views and List approach is
> that the Views data structure defers the extraction until
> summarization.

I think this is an important feature.

> So we can always retrieve the entire underlying vector,
> and the ranges of interest. But for summarize-and-forget use cases,
> Lists should work fine.

They work, but they're not super convenient. The user needs to know
how to import data for his/her regions of interest only. The way to
do this can vary across the type of file (e.g. 2bit vs BigWig).
Having GViews objects hides these details and provides a unified
mode of operating on a set of genomic regions of interest.

Also, unlike a List, a GViews object bundles together the genomic
regions and the data associated with them. This makes the object
self-descriptive and thus reduces the risk of errors.

> I like the idea of pushing the aggregation down to the data. BigWig
> files are particularly well suited for this, because they have
> precomputed summary statistics. See summary,BigWigFile. It would take
> some hacking of the Kent library to expose everything we want, like
> the sums.

This sounds like an argument in favor of using GViews objects to me.

Thanks,
H.

> [...]
>>
>> The main problem is that Views work with RangesLists, not GRanges. Coercing a GRanges to a RangesList possibly disrupts the order, so we have to first reorder the GRanges to match the order it will be given after coercion (keeping track so we can later revert back to the original order):
>>
>> regions <- import("regions_of_interest.bed")
>> sample1_cov <- import("sample1.bw", as="RleList")
>> sample2_cov <- import("sample2.bw", as="RleList")
>> oo <- order(regions)
>> regions <- regions[oo]
>>
>> Now we can construct a View and use viewSums to obtain our values (unlisting them as they are grouped by seqnames) and add them as a metadata column in our GRanges, restoring the original order of the GRanges when we are done:
>>
>> v <- Views(sample1_cov, as(regions, "RangesList"))
>> mcols(regions)$sample1_signal <- unlist(viewSums(v))
>> regions[oo] <- regions
>>
>> We then repeat the process to add another metadata column for sample2.
>>
>> To me, having the ability to use a GRanges as a view into an RleList makes a lot more sense. That would allow us to reduce all the above complexity to something like:
>>
>> regions$sample1_signal <- viewSums(Views(sample1_cov, regions))
>> regions$sample2_signal <- viewSums(Views(sample2_cov, regions))
>>
>> That alone would be great! But, there's a way to make it even better. Storing these RleLists in memory for each of our samples is quite inefficient, especially since our regions of interest are only a small portion of them. The rtracklayer package already has some very useful functionality for instantiating an RleList with only the data from specific ranges of a BigWig file. Taking advantage of that, we can dramatically reduce our memory usage and increase our performance like so:
>>
>> regions <- import("regions_of_interest.bed")
>> sample1_cov <- import("sample1.bw", as="RleList", which=regions)
>> sample2_cov <- import("sample2.bw", as="RleList", which=regions)
>> regions$sample1_signal <- viewSums(Views(sample1_cov, regions))
>> regions$sample2_signal <- viewSums(Views(sample2_cov, regions))
>>
>> But can't this functionality be included in Views? Why not have it accept a BigWig file in place of an RleList and have it selectively load the portions of the BigWig it needs based on the provided GRanges? That would allow this:
>>
>> regions <- import("regions_of_interest.bed")
>> regions$sample1_signal <- viewSums(Views("sample1.bw", regions))
>> regions$sample2_signal <- viewSums(Views("sample2.bw", regions))
>>
>> The above is quite close to how I use GRanges and BigWigs now, except I have to write and maintain all the hackish code to link BigWig files, GRanges, Views, RangesLists and RleLists together into something that behaves as one would intuitively expect.
>>
>> I’d welcome any thoughts on how people perform similar analyses that involve GRanges and data stored in BigWig files or RleLists, and whether this would also be useful to them.

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center