[Bioc-devel] Announcement of a new package called bacon

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Sat Jun 11 20:24:20 CEST 2016

On 06/11/2016 07:02 AM, Wolfgang Huber wrote:

> There exist people that use Bioconductor devel branch packages even
> though they are not developers and don’t subscribe to bioc-devel, so
> I think announcing on the support site can be appropriate.

yes, probably, provided each announcement indicates that the package is
available to users of bioc-devel. It's funny how complicated this is;
the message to the support  site will persist after the next release,
where mention of bioc-devel would no longer be appropriate.

FWIW, packages added to the devel repository are posted to our twitter
account and are summarized on the new packages log

   http://bioconductor.org/developers/new_packages/

so there are already several opportunities for the enthusiast to stay up
to date.

> I understand that problems might arise with & for users who do not
> easily handle versioning, but IMHO they are more than offset by
> highlightung a potentially useful package to as many people as
> possible as early as possible. (I haven’t checked this for a while -
> does ‘biocLite’ give a useful error message when asked to install a
> ‘devel only’ package on a system that is set up for release?)

It says that it is not available for your version of R, forwarding the
warning from install.packages

> install.packages("I_AM_NOT_A_PACKAGE",
repos=BiocInstaller::biocinstallRepos())
Installing package into
'/home/mtmorgan/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.3-Bioc-3.4'
(as 'lib' is unspecified)
Warning message:
package 'I_AM_NOT_A_PACKAGE' is not available (for R version 3.3.0 Patched)

An alternative would requiring checking packages that fail to install
against release (in case the person is using an olde version of
Bioconductor) and devel (in case they're using a current version of Bioc
but not devel) and then presenting some kind of sensible message (the
message above may not be accurate, in the current release cycle a new
package is available for users of R 3.3.0 who are also using
bioc-devel). This seems to be quite complicated, and likely to
frequently cause more harm than good.

Martin