[Bioc-devel] lazyData

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Fri Jul 29 21:38:35 CEST 2016

On 07/18/2016 10:52 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> This is a report on my testing with lazyData turned on and off wrt.
> installation time and memory requirements.  It turns out that using
> lazyData dramatically increases memory consumption and time for a
> (admittedly large) annotation package.  Perhaps this is something we should
> think about wrt. annotation and data packages.
>
> Test example is
>   IlluminaHumanMethylationEPICanno.ilm10b2.hg19
> an annotation package for minfi.  The .tar.gz for the this package is 113
> so its not small.
>
> I have explored using
>   LazyData: yes/no in DESCRIPTION
>   adding a single line data/datalist file containing the objects in the
> package
>
> What follows are timings and memory consumption of R CMD build + INSTALL on
> my Mac laptop using an SSD drive.
>

>   LazyData: yes
>   datalist: no
>   285 seconds
>   3.22 GB (values as high as 3.8GB seen)
>
>   LazyData: no
>   datalist: no
>   81s
>   1.64 GB
>
>   LazyData: no
>   datalist: yes
>   19s
>   0.38 GB

Hi Kasper -- I have to admit my ignorance on the miracle of lazy data.
Can you clarify what one gains from LazyData? I kind of though that with
LazyData: true the data was only loaded when needed, but that doesn't
seem consistent with the picture you paint above? Also, what's the
discussion about global variables?

Martin