[Bioc-devel] package devel page not available

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Mon Jul 18 16:56:08 CEST 2016

On 07/18/2016 10:10 AM, Ludwig Geistlinger wrote:
> Thx Martin, I've missed that.
>
> BTW: Is there a best practice for incorporating packages that are not
> maintained anymore?
>
> Am I supposed to copy the part of the discontinued package I am building
> on and include that in my package? Or am I able to somehow import from an
> archived version of the package?

the package will not be available to your users so you must act as
though it does not exist.

One option would be to adopt the package yourself (ideally after seeking
consent of the original authors, but I believe they did not respond to
earlier email).

Another option would be to break out the generally useful functionality
of the package into a new package, and make it available through
Bioconductor.

The least favorable but perhaps easiest is to copy the desired code.

All of these options need to be pursued within the context of the
original license, in this case GPL-2. For copied code this includes
clearly marking the changes and distributing your package under GPL-2.

Martin