[Bioc-devel] inquiry about possibility of package name change

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Sat Jul 2 04:28:02 CEST 2016

On 07/01/2016 10:45 AM, Zhu, Lihua (Julie) wrote:
> Martin,
>
> The lab, who developed the GUIDE-seq protocol, just published a python
> tool called guideseq in Nature Biotechnology, which is too similar to
> our Bioconductor package name GUIDEseq.
>
> I am wondering if  there is an easy way to change the package name, or
> perhaps give it an alias to point to the same package.  Thanks!

Changing package names is strongly discouraged, since the internet tends
to have a strong memory. However, the recommended approach is like
deprecating a function, as described at

   http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/deprecation/

In the current devel, we would clone your current code base to XXX, and add

     .onLoad <- function(...) {
         warning("Package 'GUIDEseq' is deprecated, use package 'XXX'")
     }

in the next devel cycle, you'd change that to

     .onLoad <- function(...) {
         stop("Package 'GUIDEseq' is defunct, use package 'XXX'")
     }

and remove all code other code / documentation from GUIDEseq. In the
devel cycle after that, we'd remove GUIDEseq from the manifest.

Your users would see the deprecation warning after the next release
(October?) and would have to switch by the release after that (March?).

Martin