[Bioc-devel] Classes to be supported by ggraph

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 03:57:41 CET 2016

>From my perspective Rgraphviz now has a quite good (cross-platform) access
to the Graphviz layout routines.  But how to actually use these routines
from R is certainly something I think could be vastly improved upon.  Right
now, Rgraphviz basically has two different interfaces to graph layout and
graph rendering - the "really, really old" interface and the "only old"
interface.   As you may sense I don't have strong feelings about the R
interface to Rgraphviz, except that I would be very open to someone
improving on it.  I don't have the time to do that myself.  Basically what
I do right now is maintain the C interface, since I have spent so much time
hacking on it.  But the R interface needs a lot of love. I think it would
be a shame to not continue to have access to the Graphviz library from R
given that it now works and it is extremely widely used.

For the ggraph package I think it would be worthwhile to also be able to
use the layout routines in (R)Graphviz, and I don't see why we would not be
able to plug into it.

How to display a general graph can get pretty burdensome wrt. arguments.
One of the original ideas in Rgraphviz was that a use would be able to put
a full R plot (say a scatterplot or histogram) inside each node.

Best,
Kasper