[Bioc-devel] topGO and cat() and print() statements in program code

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at uw.edu
Tue Feb 2 15:50:21 CET 2016

I can't speak to the issue of changing somebody else's code without forking
(which you are free to do), or getting their OK. But do note that there are
usually ways around this. First, you can use include = FALSE in your chunk
options statement, which will run all the code, but silence everything.
This isn't a good use case if you need to print, but that can usually be
split out. Something like

```r{noisypart, include = FALSE}

noisy code goes here

```

```r{quietpart, echo = FALSE, fig.cap = ""}

plots go here

```

An alternative is to use GOstats, which may be less noisy, but which still
has 18 calls to cat() (vs 121 for topGO) and 2 calls to print() (vs 29 for
topGO).

Best,

Jim