[Bioc-devel] Initial setup of git svn with existing GitHub repo - upstream working tree history error

Lukas Weber lukmweber at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 15:57:34 CET 2016

Hi Keegan,

I'm not sure how much this will help you, but I had some similar issues
recently. I also wanted to keep my pre-existing development history in my
personal GitHub repo, which wasn't straightforward. I ended up solving it
by only using 'git cherry-pick' (instead of 'git merge') to transfer
commits between 'master' and 'devel' branches.

Basically I just 'git cherry-picked' the commits across, one by one. I
think I had the same problem as you, where I had some extra commits in the
'devel' branch. Note that your SHA hashes will be different in each branch,
but this is fine.

I included some more details in an email to this list on November 16;
hopefully this will be useful.

Best regards,
Lukas

Lukas Weber