[Bioc-devel] package vignette error : external data can't be captured when compiling package vignette

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fredhutch.org
Mon Dec 5 19:31:21 CET 2016

Hi Jurat,

Please read the Writing R Extensions manual if you have not already:

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html

It is quite comprehensive. A gentler introduction is:

https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/buildingPackagesForBioc/

As for your vignette, note that your function readPeakFiles() takes (as its 'peakFolder' argument a vector, not a list, but you are passing it a list in two places in the MSPC_user_guide.Rmd vignette.

So remove this line (line 56):

  res <- as.list(res)

and change line 76 from

fAll <- list(bar=f1, cat=f2, foo=f3)

fAll <- c(bar=f1, cat=f2, foo=f3)

After this, there is an error at line 92 because inputData is an empty named list and somewhere in the denoise_ERs() function the code is trying to subset that list and get the first item.

BTW, useful tools for troubleshooting vignettes:

go to the vignette directory:

cd MSPC\vignettes

Create an R script from your vignette:

R CMD Stangle MSPC_user_guide.Rmd

That produces a file called MSPC_user_guide.R so you can then open an interactive R session:

...and source the file:

source("MSPC_user_guide.R", echo=TRUE, max=Inf)

And then the code will run in your interactive session and you can use tools like traceback() to see where the problems are.

Regarding your large data file, software packages cannot exceed 4MB in size (see https://bioconductor.org/developers/package-guidelines/#correctness ). So see if you can use smaller data files in your package.

As for issues with R CMD check:

regarding this:

* checking for hidden files and directories ... NOTE
Found the following hidden files and directories:
  .gitignore
  .git
These were most likely included in error. See section ‘Package
structure’ in the ‘Writing R Extensions’ manual.

...see https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#index-_002eRbuildignore-file

* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... NOTE
Checking should be performed on sources prepared by ‘R CMD build’.
Package listed in more than one of Depends, Imports, Suggests, Enhances:
  ‘rmarkdown’
A package should be listed in only one of these fields.

This should be self-explanatory. In the case of rmarkdown it should only appear in the Suggests: field.

* checking top-level files ... NOTE
File
  LICENSE

This means you have a LICENSE file but you do not refer to it in your DESCRIPTION file. However your license looks fairly standard so you could probably just say:

License: GPL-3

and remove the LICENSE file. See https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Licensing .

* checking dependencies in R code ... NOTE
Namespace in Imports field not imported from: ‘tidyverse’
  All declared Imports should be used.

This means you need to have
import(tidyverse)

in your NAMESPACE if you indeed use the tidyverse package.

* checking R code for possible problems ... NOTE
FDR_stats : <anonymous>: no visible global function definition for ‘as’
Consider adding
  importFrom("methods", "as")
  importFrom("stats", "var")
to your NAMESPACE file (and ensure that your DESCRIPTION Imports field
contains 'methods').

The error message tells you exactly what to do to fix this.

Undocumented arguments in documentation object 'FDR_stats'
  ‘replicate.type’

Undocumented arguments in documentation object 'create_output'
  ‘peakList_A’ ‘peakList_B’ ‘output_path’
Documented arguments not in \usage in documentation object 'create_output':
  ‘peaklist_A’ ‘peaklist_B’ ‘outDir’

Undocumented arguments in documentation object 'filterByFisherMethod'
  ‘.hitList’
Documented arguments not in \usage in documentation object 'filterByFisherMethod':
  ‘.hitLiist’

Functions with \usage entries need to have the appropriate \alias
entries, and all their arguments documented.
The \usage entries must correspond to syntactically valid R code.
See chapter ‘Writing R documentation files’ in the ‘Writing R
Extensions’ manual.

This should be self-explanatory.

* checking examples ... NONE

Add examples to each man page.