[Bioc-devel] Is it OK for Rmd package vignettes to be rendered as PDF?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 14:08:07 CEST 2016

Dear Henrik,

On Wed, 17-08-2016, at 13:02, Henrik Bengtsson <henrik.bengtsson at gmail.com> wrote:
> R CMD build, which is what triggers vignette  building, only supports one
> output file (HTML or PDF) per vignette. It will basically ignore duplicate
> output formats. This is by design / legacy reasons. Technically it wouldn't
> be hard to add support for multiple output formats, but that would require
> changes to R itself - I think it could be a useful feature.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the explanation.

> A related question is where some prefer to have access to also the
> intermediate plain Markdown / TeX rather than the final HTML / PDF product,
> e.g. because they work better with screen readers.

Interesting; I hadn't thought of that. Nevertheless, IIUC that is not
currently provided by default, regardless of whether we use Rnw or Rmd or
the output format; if a users wants the intermediate md/tex this can be
done via knit or similar from the installed package.

> The only way I see you can have a PDF and a HTML version at the same time
> is to create to identical vignettes each outputting a specific format.

Understood, thanks. The simplest case would only differ in the "output"
line.  However, would that not be considered abusing the BioC system and
possibly confusing users?: the source package would have two identical
files that differ in a single line and in their names, and there would be
two identical "R Script" files.

I guess a simple alternative is to, say, have the BioC page show the PDF
vignette, so that I write

output:
   BiocStyle::pdf_document:

in the "default, BioC uploaded package code".

Then, it is up to me (locally, or using travis) to have a sed script that
will replace the second line by whatever (say, BiocStyle::html_document),
will render the HTML, and then put that in Github Pages.

Best,

R.

Email: rdiaz02 at gmail.com
       ramon.diaz at iib.uam.es