[Bioc-devel] package not available (for R version 3.2.3)

Obenchain, Valerie Valerie.Obenchain at roswellpark.org
Tue Aug 9 15:49:17 CEST 2016

Hi Etienne,

The BiocInstaller package, which contains the biocLite() function, looks
in different Bioconductor repositories depending on what version of R is
being run. BiocInstaller 1.20.* (your code below) was looking in the
previous release repository (Bioconductor 3.1 and R 3.2) where the
biosigner package did not exist. The first version of BiocInstaller that
will 'find' your package is 1.22.* which is associated with the current
R 3.3 release.

biosigner is a new package in release which means it was developed
against R 3.3. While the package may work with earlier versions of R or
other dependencies there are no guarantees. Versions do matter.
BiocInstaller attempts to both minimize installation problems and
provide reproducible results by drawing from a repository tied to
particular version of R and Bioconductor.

Valerie