[Bioc-devel] best way to transition users to new version of package

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fredhutch.org
Thu May 28 16:46:04 CEST 2015

On 05/28/2015 06:32 AM, Robert M. Flight wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Wolfgang. I never thought to look at how many
> packages in Bioconductor have a baseName and baseName2 to see how often
> this is done. I assume based on the existence of Roxygen2 and ggplot2 that
> there were initial versions of those named Roxygen and ggplot.
>
> This also seems like it is probably the easiest way forward for myself and
> the users.

I'm not sure that this is best, but I'd be aggressive about getting rid of an
old package, with 'due course' being over a release --

   -----|-----|-----|
          ^    ^
          ^    defunct v.1
          intro v.2, deprecate v.1

Your users will be more actively encouraged to get the benefit of your new
design, rather than stumbling around in no-longer-supported code. It seems
responsible to provide some kind of migration guide vignette; this might be
quite easy -- a lot of your re-organization might well be business internal to
the package, with the user-facing API relatively unchanging.

Because the time frame for the transition is short, this might tip the balance
from introducing a new package to incorporating your revisions in the original,
getting the 'advertising' benefit of a single package name.

The notes at

   http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/deprecation/
   http://bioconductor.org/developers/package-end-of-life/

describe best practices for function and package deprecation (maybe the material
will be re-organized a bit...).

Martin