[Bioc-devel] jupyter notebooks as vignettes?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fredhutch.org
Wed May 20 19:15:40 CEST 2015

I'm forwarding a couple of messages from the support site.

I'd appreciate some discussion.

It seems like jupyter notebooks are becoming increasingly plausible as a
possible vignette format, and I was wondering whether there is any real-world
experience with these, including their pros and cons as vignettes. For instance...

Developer / build system

- Presumably these notebooks need to be run as part of the package check -- no
sense distributed non-functional notebooks. Are there facilities for this, along
the lines of a traditional vignette that builds and potentially generates errors
during R and / or document processing?

- Are notebooks actually mature enough that, e.g., their format will not change
dramatically?

End-user

- I guess most end users will get static, evaluated versions of the notebooks,
unless they install python & friends. Is that right?

- Can the user easily obtain the equivalent of a Stangle'd vignette, i.e., a
runnable R script?

- If a typical user only has access to a static version of the notebook, then
what have we gained relative to traditional vignettes?