[Bioc-devel] 2 candidates for BiocGenerics

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Tue Mar 24 23:20:40 CET 2015

Hi,

The organism and species accessors (getters and setters) are now generic
functions in BiocGenerics (>= 0.13.8).

To my knowledge all the packages in devel (except rsbml) that define
(or use) these accessors were modified to use these new generics.
Please let me know if I forgot some.

Some clarifications (just added now in BiocGenerics 0.13.9) in the
man page for these generics:

   Value:

      ‘organism’ should return the _scientific name_ (i.e. genus and
      species, or genus and species and subspecies) of the organism.
      Preferably in the format ‘"Genus species"’ (e.g. ‘"Homo sapiens"’)
      or ‘"Genus species subspecies"’ (e.g.  ‘"Homo sapiens
      neanderthalensis"’).

      ‘species’ should of course return the species of the organism.
      Unfortunately there is a long history of misuse of this accessor
      in Bioconductor so its usage is now discouraged (starting with
      BioC 3.1).

   Note:

      TO DEVELOPPERS:

      ‘species’ has been historically misused in many places in
      Bioconductor and is redundant with ‘organism’. So implementing the
      ‘species’ accessor is now discouraged (starting with BioC 3.1).
      The ‘organism’ accessor (returning the _scientific name_) should
      be implemented instead.

Cheers,
H.

On 03/10/2015 07:28 AM, Laurent Gatto wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Two possible candidates for BiocGenerics:
>
>> GenomeInfoDb::species
> standardGeneric for "species" defined from package "GenomeInfoDb"
>
> function (x)
> standardGeneric("species")
> <environment: 0x7278130>
> Methods may be defined for arguments: x
> Use  showMethods("species")  for currently available ones.
>> AnnotationDbi::species
> standardGeneric for "species" defined from package "AnnotationDbi"
>
> function (x)
> standardGeneric("species")
> <environment: 0x89feb18>
> Methods may be defined for arguments: x
> Use  showMethods("species")  for currently available ones.
>

> and
>
>> annotate::organism
> standardGeneric for "organism" defined from package "annotate"
>
> function (object)
> standardGeneric("organism")
> <environment: 0x8771908>
> Methods may be defined for arguments: object
> Use  showMethods("organism")  for currently available ones.
>> GenomeInfoDb::organism
> standardGeneric for "organism" defined from package "GenomeInfoDb"
>
> function (x)
> standardGeneric("organism")
> <environment: 0x8232da0>
> Methods may be defined for arguments: x
> Use  showMethods("organism")  for currently available ones.
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Laurent

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology