[Bioc-devel] Short URLs for packages?

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 16:46:46 CET 2015

There are still problems with completely reproducing old analyses partly
due to our (current) inability to reproduce an exact version (as Martin
says).

But I don't think we should muddle the waters and mix URL schemas with
versioning.

What Wolfgang is asking for is something I think makes total sense and
which I support: the ability to refer to a single url and get the "latest"
version of a package.  The url I usually give out is
../release/PACKAGE.html but that does not work for a package which has not
yet been part of a release.  Depending on your manuscript / package
development process I could easily see a manuscript getting accepted for
publication around the same time the package gets accepted into Bioc.  It
has happened to me.  And like Wolfgang, I don't like to have
../devel/PACKAGE.html links in my papers.

To me, this seems like a very slight extension to the
../release/PACKAGE.html schema, and I don't really understand the
reluctance to have this.

I am also happy to start a discussion on how to refer to specific versions
of a package including what we might need to support in Bioconductor to
achieve better reproducibility - which is what I think Gabe refers to - but
I don't think we should confuse this (important) issue with the schema
request.

Best,
Kasper