[Bioc-devel] Short URLs for packages?

Tim Triche, Jr. tim.triche at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:43:44 CET 2015

I just meant that the mnemonic link

http://www.bioconductor.org/limma/  (SEO version of limma ;-))

could dump people at something like

http://www.bioconductor.org/release/limma/3.22.7/   (I'd prefer this)

or if need be for backwards compatibility,

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/3.0/limma/3.22.7/  (seems less good)

instead of

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/3.0/bioc/html/limma.html  (current)

and furthermore the specific version page could note more prominently that
the build of limma being referenced at that particular instance in time may
or may not be the same as was cited in a paper, used in an analysis,
available for download the previous evening, etc. thus citation("limma") is
a Very Good Idea when writing up results that depend upon it.  Because even
the WEHI guys could theoretically have a bug that impacted someone's
results (as opposed to the usual case of Didn't Read The Fine Limma Manual)

Does that make more sense?  (Probably not, but worth a try)

Statistics is the grammar of science.
Karl Pearson <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grammar_of_Science>