[Bioc-devel] Short URLs for packages?

Gabe Becker becker.gabe at gene.com
Mon Mar 23 17:09:27 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 9:00 AM, Tim Triche, Jr. <tim.triche at gmail.com>
wrote:

> .../release/... silently changes every six months or so, as does
> .../devel/..., so I don't see how this changes anything beyond that.  It
> does make finding the

packages a lot easier in general, and more mnemonic.

It makes finding whatever the package is at the time you read the
publication easier, yes. Finding the software discussed or used in the
publication ... not really.

Packages are (read: should be, IMHO) published, citable pieces of research,
though. Imagine if a paper you cite were silently updated without the
doi/citation changing. That wouldn't be good

> If you want to document the versions of packages used in an analysis,
> there's always sessionInfo() and/or a dockerfile, rite?

I guess my problem is that there is even an "if" at the beginning of that
sentence.  That's not an attack on you, I know that the above reflects the
current state of affairs, I'm simply saying that perhaps Bioconductor, as a
project, can help/encourage people to do better.

~G