[Bioc-devel] development vs release version

Gabe Becker becker.gabe at gene.com
Mon Mar 23 02:04:06 CET 2015

Eric,

(inline)

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Eric Frichot <eric.frichot at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Does it mean that I have to wait the next bioconductor release ?
>
> If it is the case, imagine that I add new features for my package, do I
> have to wait the next release (every 6 month) for these features to be
> available ?

Bioconductor has a twice-yearly release cycle. This is on purpose and in
general is a very good thing, as it introduces some stability to the
Bioconductor package ecosystem that is sorely lacking on CRAN [1].

This does mean that major new features/non-bugfix changes in the release
branch break the implicit "release schedule contract" and are strongly
discouraged. So yes, *new* features and major changes should only propogate
every 6 months or so. Bugfixes and critical maintenance are ok.

A corollary to this is that packages which are under heavy development and
not ready for feature freeze (or not useful in a feature frozen state) are
"not ready" to be in a release version of Bioconductor, though no such
restrictions or concerns exist for Bioc-devel.

Best,
~G

[1] http://journal.r-project.org/archive/2013-1/ooms.pdf