[Bioc-devel] zero-width ranges representing insertions

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fredhutch.org
Tue Mar 17 03:36:05 CET 2015

On 03/16/2015 05:31 PM, Hervé Pagès wrote:
> On 03/16/2015 04:06 PM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Robert Castelo <robert.castelo at upf.edu
>> <mailto:robert.castelo at upf.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>     +1 IMO BioC could adopt the zero-width ranges representation for
>>     insertions, adapting readVcf(), writeVcf(), XtraSNPlocs.*, etc., to
>>     deal with each corresponding beast, be VCF, dbSNP or the like. Who
>>     knows, VCF could also change their representation in the future and
>>     it'll be a headache to update the affected packages if we decide to
>>     keep using its insertion representation internally to store variant
>>     ranges in BioC.
>>

>> That would break just about every tool, so let's hope not. There's a
>> bunch of code on top of Bioc that currently depends on the current
>> representation. For example, zero width ranges do not overlap anything,
>> so they need special treatment to e.g. detect whether an insertion falls
>> within a gene. There are real benefits to keeping the representation of
>> indels consistent with the rest of the field (VCF). There was much
>> thought put into this.
>
> Note that findOverlaps() now handles zero-width ranges.

predictCoding and locateVariants had to work around the fact that
findOverlaps didn't work on zero-length ranges. Now that we can handle
zero-length overlaps this code should be updated (yes, my fault for not
updating).

How predictCoding and locateVariants currently handle insertions can be
modified. The current behavior (bug) should not have no bearing on how
we want to represent indels in the VCF class in general.

I agree with Michael that much thought went into making the VCF class
consistent with the VCF specs. While information has been added to the
file format over the years I am not aware of any changes related to the
positional representation of the variant (ie, it has been stable) and
think it unlikely this would change in the future.

Val