[Bioc-devel] using devel bug

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fredhutch.org
Tue Mar 10 21:22:35 CET 2015

On 03/10/2015 01:01 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> Yeah, I basically have one version of R devel which is re-compiled every morning
> and then all packages are updated.  This is probably happening around the
> transition from R-devel using one version of BiocInstaller to another.  Reading
> the code, it seems weird to me that IS_UPGRADABLE gets set at install time; this
> is something that will depend on query time, at least for R-devel.

IS_UPGRADEABLE (also useDevel()) is meant to key off the version of
BiocInstaller, under the assumption that BiocInstaller is correct for the
version of R in use. Each release is accompanied by version bumps in
end-of-life, devel-to-release, and new-devel branches of BiocInstaller, so (a)
you'll be told BiocInstaller is out-of-date and (b) the current devel
IS_UPGRADEABLE=FALSE will become IS_UPGRADEABLE=TRUE and you'll be able to upgrade.

It isn't really simpler to think in terms of the version of R in use, either,
e.g., BiocInstaller under R-3.1 was initially (Bioc version 2.15) not
upgradeable, until our Bioc 3.0 came out.

BiocInstaller could / should detect that it was running on the wrong version of
R for Kasper's and Henrik's case.

Martin