[Bioc-devel] Changes to the SummarizedExperiment Class

Jim Hester james.f.hester at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 23:37:41 CET 2015

Motivated by the discussion thread from November (https://stat.ethz.ch/
pipermail/bioc-devel/2014-November/006686.html) the Bioconductor core team
is planning on making changes to the SummarizedExperiment class.  Our end
goal is to allow the @rowData slot to become more flexible and hold either
a DataFrame or GRanges type object.

To this end we have currently deprecated the current rowData accessor in
favor of a rowRanges accessor.  This change has resulted in a few broken
builds in devel, which we are in the process of fixing now.  We will
contact any package authors directly if needed for this migration.

The rowData accessor will be deprecated in this release, however eventually
the plan is to re-purpose this function to serve as an accessor for
DataFrame data on the rows.

Please let us know if you have any questions with the above and if you need
any assistance with the transition.