[Bioc-devel] CRAN package with Bioconductor dependencies

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fredhutch.org
Tue Mar 3 00:30:28 CET 2015

On 03/02/2015 03:22 PM, Ryan C. Thompson wrote:
> I thought CRAN packages weren't allowed to depend on Bioconductor packages for
> exactly this reason.

CRAN packages can and do depend on Bioconductor packages.

The different versioning schemes use by CRAN and by Bioconductor can lead to
confusion, and can end in tears.

My advice is to use, and tell your users to use, biocLite() for everything
(including, in devel, github, e.g., biocLite("mtmorgan/biocdb"), which delegates
to devtools).

Martin