[Bioc-devel] best practice: dependencies of dependencies / no visible global function definition

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fredhutch.org
Wed Jun 24 20:27:47 CEST 2015

On 06/24/2015 10:42 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> In order for R to find those symbols reliably, you need to import
> those functions into your NAMESPACE, and therefore you should ensure

yes

> that the Biobase package is listed on the Depends line of your
> DESCRIPTION. Your package directly depends on Biobase, so there's no

Hmm,

   Imports: Biobase

and in the NAMESPACE

   import(Biobase)

or selectively importFrom(Biobase, ...) would ensure that the symbols are always
available in your package and would eliminate the note (which should really be
stronger than that) about undefined symbols. Failing to import the symbols from
Biobase is actually closer to an error in your current package -- a package
Import'ing (not Depend'ing on) your package could invoke your function, but your
function would not see the Biobase symbols it uses. Also, without
import(Biobase) or importFrom(Biobase, ...) the user could define pData =
function(...) {}, or attach a package that defines a pData function, and this
would break your code.

Personally and more or less as a separate issue, I would Depends: Biobase (so
arriving at the same solution as Michael) to communicate to your users / fellow
developers that yes, they can expect to work with Biobase functionality when
using your package. I'd do this even if I received a NOTE: about too many
non-base packages is Depends:.

Martin