[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor Git/GitHub Mirrors

Leonardo Collado Torres lcollado at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 17 02:55:05 CEST 2015

Hi,

This sounds great! Not having to setup all those bridges everytime a
new BioC version is released should be a great feature, plus keeping
the commit history tidy. And we can still use Travis or other things
like Slack notifications on our own bridges. I guess that it'd be good
to remind users to pull new content from the bioc remote before trying
to commit to svn.

Anyhow, great work!

I'm having a few problems with this new setup which hopefully are easy
to iron out. Basically, I am stuck at the "git svn rebase && git svn
dcommit --add-author-from" step. See 2b) below.

1) My git was pointing to an older version even after updated with
brew. This was because I still had MacPorts around.
How to diagnose:
$ which git
Wrong version was pointing to /opt/local/bin/git instead of
/usr/local/bin/git Can also see by running
$ git --version ## if it doesn't match the version number you
installed from brew
Solution:
* Uninstall all of MacPorts following instructions from
https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html
* Follow part of
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20648235/error-linking-git-to-homebrew
$ sudo brew prune
$ brew update
$ brew install git
$ brew unlink git && brew link git

You might want to update subversion.
http://blog.victorquinn.com/fix-git-svn-in-mountain-lion might be
relevant for you.

2) Test case: derfinderHelper.

Smallest and simplest package I have, which won't matter much if
things break because it's stable.

a) You might want to delete update_remotes.sh after using it.
* I deleted the git-svn bridges to both
https://github.com/leekgroup/derfinderHelper and
https://github.com/leekgroup/derfinderHelper-release
* On https://github.com/leekgroup/derfinderHelper I removed bioc as a
collaborator and deleted the push-hook since it seems like we don't
need this anymore
* Download and ran update_remotes.sh as instructed. It doesn't seem
like we need it anymore after that point. If you leave it there, it
seems to give problems.
Easy to solve, but might want to clarify in the instructions.

b) Following the section "Use Git Locally And Publicly" I get stuck on
the "git svn rebase && git svn dcommit --add-author-from" step as
shown at https://gist.github.com/lcolladotor/ac8838b25955caeebcf1. The
"CONFLICT (add/add): Merge conflict" message lead me to
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19475387/how-to-handle-fix-git-add-add-conflicts
from where I could resolve the initial problem that I saw using "git
diff". But was basically the changes between the very first version of
README.md and the very latest version of it.
There must be a way to not have to go through every single commit
and/or file one by one. Using "git rebase --continue" doesn't help.

c) Given the issue with b, the devel branch already has a merge
commit. Using http://stackoverflow.com/questions/927358/how-to-undo-the-last-commit
I cleaned things up. I don't think it's needed, but I don't want to
run into more issues.
$ git rebase --abort
$ git reset HEAD~1

As you can tell, I'm no "git rebase" expert. From
http://git-scm.com/docs/git-rebase it seems like the "ours" option
might be useful. But right now I prefer to get some pointers on how to
proceed before playing around further :P

Thanks,
Leo

PS At the "Unable to determine upstream SVN information" section, I
believe that there is a typo. "git svn dcomit" should be "git svn
dcommit"