[Bioc-devel] version increments for unchanged packages

Gabe Becker becker.gabe at gene.com
Thu Jun 11 20:33:38 CEST 2015

Stephanie,

As far as I know, it is so that package versions are unique to specific
releases of bioconductor. This has the benefits of

   1. providing assurances that that particular version of a package is
   tested and confirmed to work within that release, and
   2. enforces that the source code/data for a particular version of a
   package appears only and exactly once within the Bioconductor SVN
   structure.

Together, these prevent there being ambiguity when a package needs to be
updated/fixed in the context of a particular release, both in terms of what
version needs to be fixed and where that fix needs to be applied.

Best,
~G