[Bioc-devel] Gene annotation: TxDb vs ENSEMBL/NCBI inconsistency

Ludwig Geistlinger Ludwig.Geistlinger at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Wed Jun 10 10:29:32 CEST 2015

Dear Johannes,

one follow-up question/comment on the EnsDb packages:

The reason they escaped my notice (and thus potentially will also others)
is that I expected such packages to be named "^TxDb...".

What actually argues against sticking to existing Bioc vocabulary and
naming eg EnsDb.Hsapiens.v79

TxDb.Hsapiens.Ensembl.hg38.ensGene

(or alternatively, if packages like BSgenome.Hsapiens.NCBI.GRCh38 will
indeed make it in the long run:  TxDb.Hsapiens.Ensembl.GRCh38.ensGene)

This would also have the advantage that genome build and idType could be
inferred right from the package name.

Best,
Ludwig