[Bioc-devel] Gene annotation: TxDb vs ENSEMBL/NCBI inconsistency

Ludwig Geistlinger Ludwig.Geistlinger at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Tue Jun 9 10:46:49 CEST 2015

Dear Johannes,

Thx for providing the great EnsDb packages!

One question:

As of now, I am able to choose between TxDb and EnsDb for genomic
coordinates of genomic features such as genes, transcripts, and exons.
For the sequences themselves I need the corresponding BSgenome package.

While it is easy to automatically map from a specific TxDb package (eg
TxDb.Hsapiens.UCSC.<hg38>.knownGene) to the corresponding BSgenome package
(here: BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.<hg38>), I wonder how to do that for an
EnsDb package as the package name (eg EnsDb.Hsapiens.v79) contains no
information about the genome build.

A cumbersome option would be to extract the genome_build from the metadata
of the EnsDb package (which would give me for EnsDb.Hsapiens.v79:
'GRCh38') and then ask all existing BSgenome.Hsapiens packages for their
metadata release name (eg 'GRCh38' for BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg38).

This however needs all BSgenome.Hsapiens packages installed and takes thus
too much time and space for a programmatic access.

Can you suggest a better way to map from coordinates to sequence (within
the BioC annotation functionality)?

Thanks & Best,
Ludwig